Saturday, March 1, 2014

Settling in

It's been a while since I've moved.  I mean really moved.  To a place where everything is new.

This hasn't been the hardest move I've made, believe it or not.  My little journey to Pennsylvania definitely still wins that contest.  This reminds me more of when I went to college.  There I had immediate community, and I have that here too. 

A great thing about military people is that many will dive right in with you from the beginning.  Which is good for this extroverted heart of mine!

So, one week into this new chapter of my life I have:
  • Unpacked my suitcases (more unpacking to come later when my shipment arrives)
  • Explored a few places (Chinatown in Yokohama, toured the GW, wandered around town a bit - more on that later!)
  • And most importantly - I've been meeting people.  I can't wait to dive in and learn more about people's stories - where they are spiritually - what is hard - what brings them joy.  In short - I can't wait to love on people - whoever the Lord brings my way!  
There are some adjustments and new things to learn in every day life. These include things such as:


No garbage disposal in the kitchen.  Instead, you have a container in your drain, with a "food net" that captures the stray food.  This needs to be changed out once or twice a week, or as needed. 


Another fun new thing is the recycling/garbage sorting.  The Japanese take this to a whole to level and there are many days I am not sure what bin to throw my trash in.  I've also never washed so much garbage in my life! 
Different garbage goes to the street on different days - so I have a whole instruction sheet for that also!  My favorite part about the garbage though, is that when the trucks are going down the street - they play a song that sounds like an ice cream truck!  Don't worry - I haven't chased a truck down yet looking for a rocket pop! 



No comments:

Post a Comment