What was your favorite Christmas present? Are you still using it? (I'm still a little jealous of all of you who got Kindles!!)
One of my favorite gifts this year was the gift of health... my dear friends, the Rue's, talked me into joining a program they had just finished - a local "Biggest Loser" group fitness plan. It was part of my Christmas gift, if I took them up on the offer... so I took the plunge and made the commitment! And it has been a WONDERFUL decision.
Those of you who have known me for a while know that my dad has had some pretty serious health issues in the past few years... heart attacks, strokes, he takes blood pressure meds, cholesterol meds, type 2 diabetes meds, and the list goes on... Maybe it was entering my 40's - maybe it was watching the Rue's get so healthy... maybe it was something else - but I realized it wasn't going to be any different until my attitude changed. So, here I am - a week into the journey - and it has been GREAT!
First - I have a wonderful trainer! Lisa is passionate about what she does - and she is encouraging and motivating. Next - I have a fabulous team! My email traffic has picked up this past week, but in a way I don't mind at all... people checking in to see if anyone wants to join them at the gym; making encouraging comments; and just fun banter (what, when do our six pack abs show up?? Not week one??) Being an extravert - this has been wonderful for me!
Our first week - actually only five days - and our team weighed in 53.6 pounds lighter! I'm down 2.8 - which seemed like not so much, when the person who weighed before me lost 7 pounds - but really? What other week would I be disappointed in losing almost 3 pounds? Perspective.
Am I sore - ummm - yes! but not in a "I can't move" sort of way... my body is getting stronger already. And that addresses another issue that I've been thinking about... as a follower of Jesus Christ, my body is the temple of the Holy Spirit. I am called to be a good steward of my temple... and yet, I was shoveling way to much junk... using food as a comfort, hobby, social outlet, etc. Now, we are being taught to fuel our bodies. It feels good!
If you'd like to read more about the program, click here. The teams are up, with our total starting weight. Soon, there will be team photos of our "before"... and eventually, there will be "after" pics too!
Stay tuned for more!
No comments:
Post a Comment