Thursday, September 13, 2012

Asian Adventures - Travel Log

Sept 12, 2012 The Lord woke me up at 4am - and I ignored His prompting, thinking it was just trip anxiety. Plus - my alarm would be going off in another hour and a half... right? Wrong. I woke up at 6:10am - but wasn't too panicked. Most of my packing was complete, and I just had a few tasks to do - plus makeup and hair.

I put the coffee on and started making some breakfast. Remembering I needed to activate international roaming, I grabbed my phone. TWO missed calls at 6:30am? That couldn't be good. Quickly dialing voicemail, I listened as the Delta agent explained that my 9:30 flight was delayed, but that they had rebooked me on the 7:50 flight. YIKES!

Kicking into full-blown panic mode, I called my BFF, Kaaren, who was graciously on airport duty and confirmed that she would peel out of her driveway pronto. Trash out, hair in a messy bun, makeup thrown in purse and oh - clothes! Twenty minutes later we were careening toward the airport, breaking a few speed limits with random panicked checks for phone, passport, etc.

Screeching to a halt in front of the Delta entrance (ok, we didn't really screech - that was my dramatic fantasy version) - we engaged the services of the curbside check in guy - and after a hasty goodbye, dashed to the Delta counter where the whole team greeted me! I met the counter agent who had called and left me a message - and we rejoiced that I would make my connection in Atlanta. Faithful-curbside-guy whisked my luggage over to security, gate agent-who-saved-my-trip got my boarding passes printed and off I went to get x-rayed. (Big props to Delta for their above and beyond service today!)

Upon arrival in Atlanta, I found the nearest Starbucks (never did get a cup of coffee before leaving the house!), attempted to wrangle my hair under control (check out the white girl with a fro in row 27 - LOVE my naturally curly hair, really, I do.) A smooth connection and I'm on a jumbo jet (y'all -1st class is UPSTAIRS?!) Oh yes, I'm on my way!

5 hours later... my toosh hurts from sitting (and yes, I have been getting up and walking around!)  On a happy note, I did finally see the Courageous movie.  Umm - girl in row 27 is a blubbering idiot.  (Why didn't one of you WARN me??  But really - it's a great movie - I highly recommend.)  Now that I'm dehydrated from crying and nose blowing, I must drink water and rest before I choose another movie, book or whatever. 

Hour 6...  Was I supposed to put the compression socks on before my feet swelled?  And why can't I take a stroll around the upper deck?  It seems rather elitist to me that we lower-deck folk can't even take a look-see... just kidding...

Seven and half hours in... I don't care what anyone says - I like the Muppets.  (movie #2 complete)  I have the ma-nom-en-a song stuck in my head now.

I'm a little jealous of the girl behind me who has been sleeping the whole way so far!  I tried to take a nap...  I got out my pink sleep mask, donned ear plugs and spread out in my two seats.  That's right, TWO seats!  I am sharing a row of four seats with one other person. Anywho - I think after snack time - I'm popping a melatonin and trying for some sleep!  Hopefully the guy across the aisle will re-close the window shade.

Five - count 'em - hours later of lovely upright sleep in a chair, I awoke to breakfast being served.  We arrived in Tokyo shortly thereafter and I somehow navigated my way onto the internet (with a little help).  More updates to come in the future... 

No comments:

Post a Comment