So, this week I had my first kind of frustrating experiences. Those of you who know me, know I am verbal... I like to communicate. I like to know what it being said TO me also! In my explorations thus far, I have been able to find what I want, nod politely, hand over my yen, and say thank you in Japanese. I've felt quite successful.
Then came Ikea. I mean, y'all - Ikea. You should be able to do that in any language, right? Actually, as my boss reminded me today - it's hard to find what you want in English - much less a foreign language. He thought the fact I made it out again in one day without needing a search party was something to celebrate.
But I digress.
I'm a tad bit on the independent side. (you can stop laughing now). Moving to Japan is squashing that like I take on Palmetto Bugs. (not missing those, for the record)
So - to be in Ikea - a known entity - and to not be able to read or understand ANYTHING... well, let's just say it was a growth opportunity kind of moment. Special. Very special.
I did survive - and even came home with most of what I went to find. And my teammate, Lou, also survived. :)
Another trip to the local grocery store - with total inability to communicate left me with the very real desire to take some language lessons. So, stay tuned for more adventures from Japan - and hopefully I'll have some pictures in my next update also!
Thanks for the posts Andrea, it's great to catch up on your adventures :-)
ReplyDeleteThanks Will! :)
ReplyDelete