That's what the handy printout dictating my reading assignments says, anyway. I certainly haven't been blogging my way through the Bible in 90 days, and now I'm at least 4 days of reading behind... and so it goes!
Never before have I endeavored such a task - and the timing hasn't been optimal - but I am persevering in this push for quantity of reading. Usually, I'm the type to focus in on a particular passage... soak it for all it's worth. But this time, the goal is to read the entire Bible in 90 days.
It appears that there is something to be said for reading larger chunks - I'm seeing things I haven't seen before. It's delightful!
But old habits are hard to break - and part of the reason I'm a few days behind is that I can't help but meditate on what I'm reading. (Ok, that and my travel schedule!) As a teacher, however, I'm always seeing "lessons" to be taught as I read.
And he did evil, for he did not set his heart to seek the Lord. ~ 2 Chron. 12:1
Whoa. He. Did. Evil. WHY? For/Because he did not set his heart to seek the Lord.
Hmmm. Do you ever do evil? I'm not talking epic evil like what we saw in Aurora earlier this week. I'm talking the opposite of good. Yep - sin. Before any of us too quickly add ourselves to the "I'm a pretty good person" team - let's remember what God says about it. We ALL fall short of His glory. We are all sinners.
That's the bad news. The good news? Christ paid the penalty for all who will trust in Him. But that's not where the good news ends!
Many of us set our eyes on heaven and the time when sin will exist no more... and sort of resign ourselves to muddling through life on this earth. That's not the abundant life Jesus spoke about! We can't miss an important piece of our living here. We must set our hearts to seek the Lord. Which, by the way, we can only do through faith and the power of the Holy Spirit dwelling in us.
Jesus told the adulterous woman, "go and sin no more". Quit living a life patterned by sin. You've been bought with a price. A blood-sacrifice by the Perfect Lamb. Set your heart to seek HIM.
What are ways that you set your heart to seek Him?
Never before have I endeavored such a task - and the timing hasn't been optimal - but I am persevering in this push for quantity of reading. Usually, I'm the type to focus in on a particular passage... soak it for all it's worth. But this time, the goal is to read the entire Bible in 90 days.
It appears that there is something to be said for reading larger chunks - I'm seeing things I haven't seen before. It's delightful!
But old habits are hard to break - and part of the reason I'm a few days behind is that I can't help but meditate on what I'm reading. (Ok, that and my travel schedule!) As a teacher, however, I'm always seeing "lessons" to be taught as I read.
And he did evil, for he did not set his heart to seek the Lord. ~ 2 Chron. 12:1
Whoa. He. Did. Evil. WHY? For/Because he did not set his heart to seek the Lord.
Hmmm. Do you ever do evil? I'm not talking epic evil like what we saw in Aurora earlier this week. I'm talking the opposite of good. Yep - sin. Before any of us too quickly add ourselves to the "I'm a pretty good person" team - let's remember what God says about it. We ALL fall short of His glory. We are all sinners.
That's the bad news. The good news? Christ paid the penalty for all who will trust in Him. But that's not where the good news ends!
Many of us set our eyes on heaven and the time when sin will exist no more... and sort of resign ourselves to muddling through life on this earth. That's not the abundant life Jesus spoke about! We can't miss an important piece of our living here. We must set our hearts to seek the Lord. Which, by the way, we can only do through faith and the power of the Holy Spirit dwelling in us.
Jesus told the adulterous woman, "go and sin no more". Quit living a life patterned by sin. You've been bought with a price. A blood-sacrifice by the Perfect Lamb. Set your heart to seek HIM.
What are ways that you set your heart to seek Him?
No comments:
Post a Comment