Wednesday, August 29, 2012

The "P" Word... Perserverance

It had been a month really, since I'd laced up my shoes and headed out for a walk.  It felt good at first - stretching my legs, breathing deeply.  That first hill always gets me though.

Before I rounded the corner, I felt the familiar twinge of tendonitis.  That was quickly followed by another twinge... complaint. 

"Why Lord?" 

My thoughts quickly questioned why it must be so hard... painful... when all I was trying to do was to take good care of my body. 

"I'm trying to be a good steward of my body, Lord.  Why is it so hard, so painful?" (Said in a whiny voice)

Stopping to stretch, I quieted my grumblings.  "What is true?" 

James says to consider it pure joy whenever we face trials of various kinds.  Why?  Because the testing of our faith produces endurance.  And really, isn't that the mark of a believer?  One who will persevere

How can I know this and forget it so quickly?

Everything in me wanted to turn around and head home.  But maybe, if I pressed on - things would loosen up and feel better.  Could that happen?  Quitting surely wouldn't help.  And so, I hobbled down the road.  Really.  I hobbled.  It wasn't pretty.  I wonder how many people thought I was trying to push their trees down, as I pressed against them to stretch!?  

Two miles can feel like a VERY long time.  BUT - coming down the last stretch, something changed.  My attitude? 

How often is this my approach?  To shrink back and complain as soon as life becomes difficult?  I feel so American.  So entitled in my attitude.  As if - somehow I've graduated to Easy-ville and it is an offense to my very being to be faced with something difficult.

In 2 Peter there is a list of building blocks... items we are to be adding to our faith.  Most commentaries agree - these virtues build on one another.  And therein may lie the issue... because in v. 6 added to knowledge is self-control and then perseverance.

Knowledge. Check.

Self-control. Ummm, not so "check".

Is it a wonder that perseverance seems to be lacking?

And not to rationalize this issue away - but have you ever noticed that when you are tired, this all gets more difficult?  The attacks come harder and faster?

And yet - as saints, we are called to persevere.  

One thing that helps?  Set your mind on things above.

Have you ever noticed... Perseverance seems to be linked to perspective?

God. ~ His character.  His majesty.  His patience, glory, love.  Thinking about what He has done for me... a wretch like me.  Praising Him for what He hasn't required of me...

Christ. ~ The One who bore the wrath I deserved.  The One who left the magnificent presence of God the Father to bear the punishment of my sin.

Suddenly - a gimpy tendon - doesn't seem like such a big deal.

Writing in community today @a holy experience on the Practice of Habits.


2 comments:

  1. Well put! Just another one of those lessons that I seem to learn again... and again... and again... Praise our God that He is so patient with us.

    ReplyDelete